This month’s series on longevity medicine and fitness coaching is part of Noviu Health’s collaboration with Caytra, founded by Dr Arun Jayaraj. Start your weight loss journey for the last time with Noviu X Caytra, our comprehensive weight-loss program, offering personalised support from doctors at Noviu Health @ Bartley Clinic, injectable weight-loss medication and fitness coaching by Caytra.
Intermittent fasting seems to be the new buzzword these days, touted by various doctors and health coaches. So what exactly is intermittent fasting, how can we begin our intermittent fasting journey and what health benefits does it yield?
Well, this is Noviu Health’s comprehensive guide to intermittent fasting – a practice that not only offers a simple and effective way to boost your longevity that fits seamlessly into your busy routine, but can also be tailored to suit your individual needs with medical guidance and coaching support.
Understanding Intermittent Fasting
Intermittent fasting isn’t about depriving yourself of calories. It’s not a diet; it’s about strategically timing your meals to achieve health benefits. It involves cycling between periods of eating and fasting, and there are various approaches to choose from:
- The 16/8 Method: This method involves fasting for 16 hours and eating within an 8-hour window each day. It’s as simple as skipping breakfast and having your first meal at lunchtime.
- The 5:2 Diet: Here, you consume your usual diet for five days a week and restrict calorie intake to around 500-600 calories on the other two days.
- The Eat-Stop-Eat: This involves fasting for a full 24 hours once or twice a week.
- The Alternate-Day Fasting: You alternate between fasting days and regular eating days.
The Benefits of Intermittent Fasting for Longevity
- Weight Management: Intermittent fasting can help regulate your calorie intake, making it easier to maintain a healthy weight. Obesity is a risk factor for many chronic diseases, so managing your weight is vital for longevity.
- Improved Insulin Sensitivity: Fasting periods help your body become more sensitive to insulin, which can lower your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Heart Health: Intermittent fasting can reduce several risk factors for heart disease, including cholesterol levels, triglycerides, blood pressure, and inflammation.
- Cellular Repair: Fasting triggers a cellular process called autophagy, where your body removes damaged cells and regenerates new ones. This can help protect against age-related diseases.
- Brain Health: Some studies suggest that intermittent fasting may promote the growth of new nerve cells, potentially reducing the risk of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.
Medical considerations for intermittent fasting:
Before diving into intermittent fasting, it’s crucial to consult with a healthcare professional. At Noviu Health, our team of doctors will help assess your medical history, current health status, and any underlying conditions that might affect your fasting regimen.
- Medication: Some medications (eg. diabetes medications, painkillers, etc.) require specific timing with meals. Your healthcare provider can adjust your medication schedule accordingly.
- Pre-existing Conditions: Individuals with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes or eating disorders, may need tailored fasting plans to ensure their health or medication timings are not impacted by intermittent fasting.
- Nutritional Requirements: A healthcare professional can ensure you’re getting all the essential nutrients during your eating windows. If you have special dietary requirements, we can refer you to a nutritionist for more detailed guidance.
The Role of Health Coaching
Coaching support is another invaluable component of intermittent fasting. A health coach can provide guidance and motivation, helping you stick to your fasting schedule and make healthy food choices during eating windows.
Coaching can offer the following benefits:
- Accountability: Regular check-ins with a coach can keep you on track and motivated, boosting your compliance. We want to see you succeed.
- Customisation: Coaches can tailor your fasting plan to your lifestyle and preferences. If one plan doesn’t work for you, we’ll work together to customise one that works for you.
- Education: A coach can provide valuable information about nutrition, meal planning, and how to break your fast safely.
In conclusion, intermittent fasting is a promising approach to enhancing longevity and improving your overall health, but it’s essential to approach it with medical guidance and coaching support to ensure safety and effectiveness.
At Noviu Health, we’re here to help you reap the full benefits of intermittent fasting while addressing your individual health needs. To review your eligibility for Noviu X Caytra’s coaching programme and weight loss medication, simply make an appointment with our Noviu Health @ Bartley Clinic doctors –– submit an enquiry through our contact form, drop us a Whatsapp message or give us a call!
- “Intermittent and periodic fasting, longevity and disease” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8932957/
- “Is Intermittent Fasting the Key to Longevity?” https://zerolongevity.com/blog/is-intermittent-fasting-the-key-to-longevity/